Lori Ann DeChant, LMFT, LMHC, CCMHC, NCC, C-DBT. Lori is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (NY-001527, CA-49797 and AZ-15254), a Licensed Mental Health Counselor (NY-009656), a Specialist in Infant and Preschooler Mental Health (Post Graduate Program 2013 At The School of Psychology at Alliant International University) and a National Board Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor and a National Board Certified Counselor. Other: Lori is a Registered Florida Telehealth provider TPMC2578- see website for more details: Https://flhealthSource.gov/telehealth/ and a LMHC Registered Vermont Interim Telehealth Provider 068.0134880TELE.
Lori started out as a Licensed Social Worker working in the rural areas of West Virginia back in the 1990’s. A Graduate of West Virginia University’s Community Counseling Arts Program where she also studied several specialty areas such as: Trauma -Trauma Institute, Eating Disorders, utilizing Art in therapy, Impact Therapy, Homelessness and working with addictions. Previous to that, Lori was a High School Drop Out Prevention teacher where she received her teaching credentials at Rollins College, Fl. Lori has over 27 years’ experience working in non-profit Mental Health organizations serving a variety of clients in in-patient and out-patient treatment settings. Lori has experience working with the homeless, individuals with developmentally or intellectual disabilities, children, adolescents and adults of all ages, parents, grandparents, 7 years working with military, Indigenous people, L.G.B.T.Q.I., Asian, Black and Hispanic Cultures.
Lori values learning as a life-long process. Lori recently earned her Certification as a Dialectic Behavioral Therapy provider 2022. Lori recently completed EMDRIA approved EMDR Training Program with the Shapiro Institute 2022 and is providing EMDR services. Lori brings her longevity, training and experience to those who seek services with her at Crystal Sun Counseling. For more information about Lori please visit her at LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/lori-ann-dechant-5282593a Lori has shifted focus in 2022 to serve individuals with the following challenges:
- Adjustment Disorders
- Attachment Disorders
- Anger Management
- Behavioral Disorders in young children
- Childhood and Adolescent Disorders
- Family Issues
- Grief and Loss
- Job related concerns or EAP
- Relationship Challenges
- Grief and Loss
As a Specialist in Infant and Preschooler Mental Health: Children can experience significant behavioral and emotional reactions when they are removed from their homes, placed in foster care or when they have been exposed to trauma, grief or loss. This also impacts the family and parents of these children may also experience stress and/or secondary traumatic stress. Lori works with children and their parents, from birth to ages 6 and 7, using a variety of Early Intervention, Intervention, Assessment and treatment tools.
Disorders for young children may include:
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders such as ADHD
- Sensory Processing Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Mood Disorders
- Obsessive Compulsive and Related Disorders
- Sleep, Eating and Crying Disorders
- Trauma, Stress and Deprivation Disorders
- Relationship Disorders in the classification of the parent and child relationship.
As a Specialist in Infant and Preschooler Mental Health, Lori’s 2 year post graduate program at Alliant International University’s school of Psychology has prepared Lori to be qualified to diagnose and treat children. Lori will also be able to refer children for additional assessments and services when needed. Please note that in NYS, due to restrictions placed on Diagnosing Lori is not permitted to legally diagnosis until she obtains a NYS Diagnostic Privilege License available to providers in 2024. Lori is able to provide this service in several other states which she is Licensed.
Other Roles: Lori also works in other roles such as consultant and trainer. Lori has supported over 100 clinical staff with supervision for their graduate programs and state licensure in CA.
- Ashland University: Cognitive Brain Processing and Learning Graduate class.
- Infant and Preschooler Mental Health Specialist Certificate from the School of Psychology at Alliant International University, California (a 2-year Post Graduate Program).
- Master’s degree of Counseling Arts from West Virginia University, West Virginia.
- Rollins College, Fl. Completed teaching certification classes (a 2-year program).
- Potsdam State University SUNY Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology/Minor in Criminal Justice.
- Mindful Schools in California, completed the Mindful Schools Curriculum (a 1.5 year program).
- Rollins College in Florida, completed Secondary School Teaching Certification.
- Chapman University in California, completed Marriage and Family Therapy Courses.
- Engle School of Music in Florida for the study of music (7 years).
Experience working in rural areas with the underserved in several states has equipped Lori with being able to understand and serve a variety of customers and clients from various cultures and backgrounds.
“I don’t fit clients into one specific treatment approach.” “I tailor treatment to meet the needs of the individual.”
Most Commonly Used Therapeutic interventions:
- Anger Management Training
- Art and Creative Arts Therapies
- Assertiveness Training
- Attachment Therapies
- Behavior Management
- Brief and Solution Focused Therapies
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) certified and NCTI Certified
- Colors Personality Survey Certified
- DBT Certified
- Family Systems
- Grief and Loss
- Impact Therapy
- Military, Deployment and CRM Therapies
- Mindfulness Training
- Narrative Therapy
- Parenting Programs
- Reality Therapy
- Stress Management Techniques
- Suicide Prevention
- Trauma Focused CBT
- Trauma Informed care
Professional certifications and training:
- Certified as a DBT Provider
- Certified in Insight Drug and Alcohol Program (school-aged children).
- Certified in The Colors Personality Survey (Adults and Children)
- Certified in the National Curriculum Training Institute’s Cognitive Evidenced-Based Curriculum programs (Anger-management, Drug and Alcohol, Parenting Skills, Cognitive Life Skills) for use with Children and Adults.
- Trained in various Early Childhood tools for Assessment, Prevention and Early Intervention such as Theraplay, Incredible Years and Parenting programs.
- Trained in working with the military population (deployment).
- Trained in the Matrix Clinical Substance Abuse Treatment program.
Please see the areas of practice for information regarding practice areas.
Lori’s Affiliations: American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT), NY-MFT Network, (AAMFT) MFT’s Working in Trauma, NY State Mental Health Counseling Association (NYMHCA), NY State Early Childhood Workgroup, National Board of Certified Counselors, Zero to Three, the Child Trauma Network and the Capital District Mineral Club of NYS.
On the weekend you may find Lori out in the great outdoors with her husband enjoying what nature has to offer. She may be digging for treasures at a local mine, engaged in photography or bird watching.
For more information or to see how we may be of service to you, call at (760) 881-1177, use the Contact us button located at the top of our homepage or email us at email@example.com.