Meet Lori Ann DeChant, LMFT, LMHC and a CCMHC. Lori is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (NY-001527, CA-49797 and AZ-15254), a Licensed Mental Health Counselor (New York-009656), a Specialist in Infant and Preschooler Mental Health and a National Board Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor. Believe it or not, Lori initially started out as a Licensed Social Worker working in the rural areas of West Virginia back in the 1990’s.
Lori has spent over 25 years working in non-profit Mental Health organizations serving a variety of clients in both in-patient and out-patient treatment settings. Lori has experience working with the homeless, individuals with developmentally or intellectual disabilities, children, adolescents and adults of all ages, parents, grandparents, military families, african-Americans, hispanic, asian, native-Americans and LGBTQ communities.
Having been in this field for many years, Lori values learning as a life-long process and brings her longevity, knowledge, training and experience to customers who seek services with her at Crystal Sun Counseling. For more information about Lori please visit her at Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/lori-ann-dechant-5282593a
Lori has developed the knowledge, skills and experience necessary to be able to serve individuals with the following challenges:
- ADHD and Disruptive Behavior Disorders
- Obsessive-Compulsive Spectrum Disorders
- Posttraumatic and Dissociative Disorders
- Childhood and Adolescent Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Mood Disorders
- Psychotic and Substance Related Disorders
- Personality Disorders
- Adjustment Disorders
- Relational Problems
- Family Issues
- Career or job-related adjustment
- Grief and Loss
As a Specialist in Infant and Preschooler Mental Health: Children can experience significant behavioral challenges and emotional reactions when they are removed from their homes, placed in foster care or when they have been exposed to trauma, grief and loss. These issues impact the family and parents of such children who may also experience stress and secondary traumatic stress. The focus here is working with children and their parents, from birth to ages 6 and 7, using a variety of Early Intervention, Intervention, Assessment and treatment tools.
Disorders for young children treated include:
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders such as ADHD
- Sensory Processing Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Mood Disorders
- Obsessive Compulsive and Related Disorders
- Sleep, Eating and Crying Disorders
- Trauma, Stress and Deprivation Disorders
- Relationship Disorders in the classification of the parent and child relationship.
As a Specialist, Lori is qualified to diagnose and treat such children and knows when to refer children for additional services.
Other Roles: Lori also works in other roles such as consultant, supervisor, trainer and supports clinical staff with obtaining their supervision for state licensure.
- Infant and Preschooler Mental Health Specialist Certificate from the School of Psychology at Alliant International University, California.
- Master’s degree in Counseling from West Virginia University, West Virginia.
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology/Minor in Criminal Justice from Potsdam State University, New York.
- Mindful Schools in California, completing the Mindful Schools Curriculum.
- Rollins College in Florida, completing a Secondary School Teaching Certification.
- Chapman University in California, completing Marriage and Family Therapy Courses.
- Engle School of Music in Florida for the study of music.
Lori’s education and experience has equipped her to understand and serve a variety of customers and clients coming from various cultures and backgrounds.
We don’t fit our clients into one specific treatment approach. We tailor treatment to meet the needs of our clients.
Some therapeutic interventions Lori is trained in are as follows:
- Adlerian Therapy
- Art and Creative Arts Therapies
- Attachment Therapies
- Brief and Solution Focused Therapies
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Eating Disorders and Therapies
- Family Systems Therapies
- Grief and Loss Therapies
- Mental Health First Aid
- Military Special Populations, Deployment and CRM Therapies
- Mindfulness-Mindful Schools Curriculum and classroom and individual Implementation
- Motivational Interviewing
- Narrative Therapy
- Psychotraumatology Therapies for Trauma Based treatment
- Reality Therapy
- Stress Management Techniques
- Suicide Prevention
- Trauma Focused CBT
- Trauma Informed care
- Short Symptomology Screening Tools
Some of Lori’s professional certifications and training:
- Certified in Insight Drug and Alcohol Program (school-aged children).
- Certified in The Colors Personality Survey (Adults and Children)
- Certified in the National Curriculums Training Institute Cognitive Evidenced-Based Curriculum programs (Anger-management, Drug and Alcohol, Parenting Skills, Cognitive Life Skills) for use with Children and Adults.
- First Aid and Infant and Adult CPR
- Trained in various Early Childhood tools for Assessment, Prevention and Early Intervention such as Theraplay, Incredible Years and Parenting programs.
- Trained in working with the military population (deployment).
- Trained in the Matrix Clinical Substance Abuse Treatment program.
Please see the areas of practice for information regarding practice areas.
Lori’s Affiliations: American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT), NY-MFT Network, (AAMFT) MFT’s Working in Trauma, California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT), National Board Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor and National Board Certified Counselor, Zero to Three, and the Child Trauma Network.
On the weekend you may find Lori out in the great outdoors enjoying what nature has to offer. She may be digging for treasures at a local mine or rising above taking pictures of it all.
For more information call us at (760) 881-1177 or use the Contact us button located at the top of our homepage and email us at email@example.com to see how we may help you.