Meet Lori Ann DeChant, LMFT, LMHC, CCMHC, NCC. Lori is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (NY-001527, CA-49797 and AZ-15254), a Licensed Mental Health Counselor (New York-009656), a Specialist in Infant and Preschooler Mental Health and a National Board Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor. Lori started out as a Licensed Social Worker working in the rural areas of West Virginia back in the 1990’s.
Lori has spent over 27 years working in non-profit Mental Health organizations serving a variety of clients in both in-patient and out-patient treatment settings. Lori has experience working with the homeless, individuals with developmentally or intellectual disabilities, children, adolescents and adults of all ages, parents, grandparents, military, Native-American, L.G.B.T.Q.I., Asian, Black and Hispanic Cultures.
Lori values learning as a life-long process and brings her longevity, training and experience to those who seek services with her at Crystal Sun Counseling. For more information about Lori please visit her at LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/lori-ann-dechant-5282593a
Lori serves individuals with the following challenges:
- ADHD and Disruptive Behavior Disorders
- Obsessive-Compulsive Spectrum Disorders
- Posttraumatic and Dissociative Disorders
- Childhood and Adolescent Disorders
- Binge Eating Eating Disorder
- Mood Disorders
- Personality Disorders
- Adjustment Disorders
- Relationship Problems
- Family Issues
- Career or job-related concerns
- Grief and Loss
As a Specialist in Infant and Preschooler Mental Health: Children can experience significant behavioral and emotional reactions when they are removed from their homes, placed in foster care or when they have been exposed to trauma, grief or loss. This also impacts the family and parents of these children may also experience stress and/or secondary traumatic stress. Lori works with children and their parents, from birth to ages 6 and 7, using a variety of Early Intervention, Intervention, Assessment and treatment tools.
Disorders for young children include:
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders such as ADHD
- Sensory Processing Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Mood Disorders
- Obsessive Compulsive and Related Disorders
- Sleep, Eating and Crying Disorders
- Trauma, Stress and Deprivation Disorders
- Relationship Disorders in the classification of the parent and child relationship.
As a Specialist in Infant and Preschooler Mental Health, Lori is qualified to diagnose and treat children and knows where to refer children for additional assessments and services.
Other Roles: Lori also works in other roles such as consultant and trainer. Lori supports various clinical staff with supervision for state licensure.
- Infant and Preschooler Mental Health Specialist Certificate from the School of Psychology at Alliant International University, California.
- Master’s degree in Counseling from West Virginia University, West Virginia.
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology/Minor in Criminal Justice from Potsdam State University, New York.
- Mindful Schools in California, completed the Mindful Schools Curriculum.
- Rollins College in Florida, completed Secondary School Teaching Certification.
- Chapman University in California, completed Marriage and Family Therapy Courses.
- Engle School of Music in Florida for the study of music.
Experience working in rural areas with the underserved in several states has equipped Lori with being able to understand and serve a variety of customers and clients from various cultures and backgrounds.
“I don’t fit clients into one specific treatment approach.” “I tailor treatment to meet the needs of the individual.”
Therapeutic interventions in alphabetical order:
- Adlerian Therapy
- Anger Management Training
- Art and Creative Arts Therapies
- Assertiveness Training
- Attachment Therapies
- Behavior Management
- Brief and Solution Focused Therapies
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Eating Disorders (binge eating) Curriculum for Therapy
- Family Systems Therapies
- Grief and Loss Therapies
- Impact Therapy
- Mental Health First Aid
- Military Special Populations, Deployment and CRM Therapies
- Mindfulness Stress Reduction Mindful Schools Curriculum and classroom and individual Implementation
- Motivational Interviewing
- Narrative Therapy
- Parenting Programs
- Psychotraumatology (Dr. Tenin, MD) Therapies for Trauma Based treatment
- Reality Therapy
- Stress Management Techniques
- Suicide Prevention
- Thought Field Therapy (reprocessing)
- Trauma Focused CBT
- Trauma Informed care
- Various Short Screening Tools
Professional certifications and training:
- Certified in Insight Drug and Alcohol Program (school-aged children).
- Certified in The Colors Personality Survey (Adults and Children)
- Certified in the National Curriculum Training Institute’s Cognitive Evidenced-Based Curriculum programs (Anger-management, Drug and Alcohol, Parenting Skills, Cognitive Life Skills) for use with Children and Adults.
- First Aid and Infant and Adult CPR
- Trained in various Early Childhood tools for Assessment, Prevention and Early Intervention such as Theraplay, Incredible Years and Parenting programs.
- Trained in working with the military population (deployment).
- Trained in the Matrix Clinical Substance Abuse Treatment program.
Please see the areas of practice for information regarding practice areas.
Lori’s Affiliations: American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT), NY-MFT Network, (AAMFT) MFT’s Working in Trauma, California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT), National Board Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor and National Board Certified Counselor, Zero to Three, and the Child Trauma Network.
On the weekend you may find Lori out in the great outdoors enjoying what nature has to offer. She may be digging for treasures at a local mine, engaged in photography or bird watching.
For more information or to see how we may be of service to you, call at (760) 881-1177, use the Contact us button located at the top of our homepage or email us at email@example.com.